Increasingly, clients seek out Clinton Brook & Peed for a wide range of legal advice in business and transactional matters. For many clients, we serve a function similar to that of a general counsel–we provide ongoing advice on a range of matters, handle a broad range of structural and transactional matters as they arise, and manage outside legal costs when specialized expertise is required.
The firm’s philosophical approach to business transactions is to emphasize the following three factors: (1) achieving favorable business terms for clients in light of the overall business strategy; (2) creating incentives, not just legal remedies, to promote compliance with the agreement’s terms; and (3) anticipating and preempting the things that could go wrong.
Applying these three fundamental principles, the firm has advised a number of clients on some of their most important transactions, including business entity formation, trademark applications, joint venture and licensing agreements, key employee contracts and other major transactions. We also advise on other important ongoing issues, like equal employment opportunity policies, fiduciary obligations to investors and shareholders, regulatory compliance issues, and contract template review. In addition, the firm has developed a specialized practice before D.C.’s Alcohol Beverage Regulation Administration (ABRA), assisting local businesses with regard to obtaining and maintaining liquor licenses.
CASE RESULTS DEPEND UPON A VARIETY OF FACTORS UNIQUE TO EACH CASE; CASE RESULTS DO NOT GUARANTEE OR PREDICT A SIMILAR RESULT IN ANY FUTURE CASE.
- Drafted and negotiated the acquisition of charitable promotion website DealsForDeeds.com by client Recoup.com.
- Drafted and negotiated dozens of commercial co-venture agreements on behalf of client Recoup.com, with non-profit organizations like Rock the Vote, Doctors Without Borders / MSF, American Forests, and K.I.D.S.
- Advised a U.S.-based company regarding an exclusive distributorship to the Middle East.
- Advised an American start-up devoted entirely to development of solar power in West Africa regarding corporate structure and a multi-million dollar private placement.
- Negotiated a multi-party software development, royalty, and licensing agreement between Seismic Games, Inc., the American Values Institute, the Charles Hamilton Houston Institute for Race and Justice of Harvard Law School, and the Kirwan Institute for the Study of Race and Ethnicity, part of The Ohio State University, on behalf of client Justice Education Solutions, LLC.
- Advise software development company Ice Tea Group, LLC regarding software development agreements, intellectual property, End User Licensing Agreements, Maintenance Agreements, and other issues key to its business.
- Advise companies regarding a range of federal government contracting issues, including bid protests, stop work orders, and the Small Business Administration’s 8(a) program.
- Advise celebrated author, speaker, and entrepreneur Mawi Asgedom (one of Essence Magazine’s “40 Most Inspiring African-Americans”) regarding a wide variety of business and transactional matters.